- 501 Commons: 501 Commons is the Management Support Organization (MSO) for the Puget Sound region and beyond. MSOs are nonprofit organizations that exist for the primary purpose of providing capacity building services to other nonprofit organizations. Their Statewide Nonprofit Resource Directory is particularly useful.
- Nancy Bell Evans Center on Nonprofits & Philanthropy (NBEC): NBEC is a part of the Evans School of Public Affairs at the University of Washington. The aim of the Center is to enhance the understanding and vitality of the nonprofit and philanthropic sector through research, education, and community engagement.
- National Center for Charitable Statistics (NCCS): NCCS develops and disseminates data on nonprofit organizations and their activities for use in research on the relationships between the nonprofit sector, government, the commercial sector, and society. NCCS also hosts the The Nonprofit FAQ, a terrific resource for answers to commonly asked questions in the nonprofit sector.
- NPQ: NPQ is an online and print publisher. Their website is a source for information and dialogue about democratic activism and the organizations and movements that are involved this work. Their print publication, Nonprofit Quarterly, provides research-based insights for nonprofit practitioners.
- Stanford Social Innovation Review (SSIR): SSIR’s magazine and website cover cross-sector solutions to global problems. It is written by and for social change leaders in the nonprofit, business, and government sectors who view collaboration as key to solving environmental, social, and economic justice issues.
Our region’s Nonprofit State Associations provide support, connectivity, and public policy representation for the tens of thousands of nonprofits in the Pacific Northwest.
Leadership & Executive Transition
- Executive Transition Monographs: The Evelyn and Walter Haas, Jr. Fund and the Annie E. Casey Foundation supported the development of this monograph series, which includes a number of interesting and useful articles on executive leadership and executive transition management.
- Managing Executive Transitions: A Guide for Nonprofits (Written by Tim Wolfred, 2009)
- The Nonprofit Leadership Transition and Development Guide: Proven Paths for Leaders and Organizations (Written by Tom Adams, 2010)
- Chief Executive Transitions: How to Hire and Support a Nonprofit CEO (Written by Don Tebbe, 2008)
- The Executive Director’s Guide to Thriving as a Nonprofit Leader, 2nd Edition (Written by Mim Carlson and Margaret Donohoe, 2010)
- The Jossey-Bass Handbook of Nonprofit Leadership and Management (Edited by David O. Renz, 2010)
- Managing to Change the World: The Nonprofit Leader’s Guide to Getting Results (Written by Alison Green and Jerry Hauser, 2009)
- United Way of King County (UWKC) Workshops: UWKC offers a number of affordable training opportunities for board and staff members.
- BoardSource:BoardSource is the go-to website for ideas and innovations in board governance. Many of their resources are inexpensive; some are free.
- Blue Avocado:Blue Avocado is a free, bi-weekly online magazine that provides practical, provocative, and often humorous perspectives on the nonprofit sector.